B.Sc Optometry Colleges in Bangalore
B.Sc Optometry Course Overview:
Optometry is a medical profession which involves the diagnosis and management of eye defects/diseases or abnormalities. Apart from detecting eye diseases, optometry specifically involves measuring the eyesight and prescribing corrective lenses and ocular
An optometrist is a health care professional who provides primary eye care. The competencies of an optometrist are:
- Vision therapy
- Binocular vision
- Contact lenses and spectacles
- Medical therapeutics
- Ocular Diseases
The main objective of this field of medicine is to deliver quality and efficient eye and vision care to the society.B.Sc. in Optometry is designed to provide the students with intensive clinical knowledge and skills to diagnose and facilitate the treatment of the disorders/defects in the visual system using optical aids.
The students learn a wide range of knowledge in this field of medicine. The course covers a wide range of subjects as follows:
- Basic Accountancy
- Clinical Psychology
- Community and Occupational Optometry
- Contact Lens Study
- Geriatric and Paediatric Optometry
- Geriatric and Paediatric Optometry
- Hospital procedures
- Low vision aids
- Geometrical optics
- Squint and binocular vision.
- Law and optometry
- Ocular diseases, eye and systemic diseases
- Pathology and microbiology
- Functional English and communication
- Physical optics
- Physical optics
- Optometric instruments and clinical examination of visual system and much more
Along with the intensive knowledge of the optometric field, it is crucial for the students to have the following skills: Interpersonal skills, good communication to deal with the patients and other professionals in the field,dedicated and persistent work ethic and managerial skills.
MAY I HELP YOU
List of B.Sc. Optometry Colleges in Bangalore
Where to apply?
Choose from a wide range of reputed medical institutions of Bangalore, the so called ‘one stop destination’ for career growth.
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bangalore
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- Naseema Institute of Optometry and Research, Bangalore
- Raja Rajeshwari medical college, Bangalore
- Prestige medical college, Bangalore
- Nethradhama school of optometry, Bangalore
- Acharya Institutes, Bangalore
- Christian college, Bangalore
- Abhaya college, Bangalore
B.Sc. Optometry Course Duration:
How long is the course?
- B.Sc. in Optometry is either 3 ½ or 4 year undergraduate course depending on the choice of university.
- An internship period of 6 months or 1 year is provided in order to give practical and professional exposure to the graduates.
B.Sc. Optometry Eligibility Criteria:
Who can apply?
Candidates who wish to pursue B.Sc. in Optometry need to meet the following criteria:
- 10 + 2 qualification in the science stream from a recognised board is mandatory.
- An aggregate of 50% is usually required by most of the universities. However this can vary between 45%-60% depending on different colleges.
B.Sc Optometry Admission Process:
How to apply?
- The admission is offered to the eligible candidates based on the scores of either the university’s own entrance exam or the other recognized medical entrance exam scores can also be considered.
- The entrance exam conducted by the respective universities set a cut-off percentage score which the students are required to clear.
- This is followed by the counselling process which comprises of the group discussion and then the final personal interview.
- There are some exceptional colleges who offer admission solely based on the scores of the previous qualifying examination (class 12th or Pre-University/Higher Secondary Education)
Placements, Scope and Future Career Prospects:
The major employment areas for a Graduation in Optometry include:
- Eye Care Clinics
- Private and Government Eye Care Departments
- Ophthalmic Lens Manufacturing Industries
- Colleges for optometry field of medicine
- Companies who manufacture contact lenses and optical products
- Occupational health care sectors
- Optical showrooms
The Top Recruiting Healthcare Organisations of Bangalore are listed below:
- Government Hospitals
- Narayana health, Bangalore
- MS Ramaiah hospital, Bangalore
- NIMHANS, Bangalore
- Aster Medcity, Bangalore
- Fortis hospitals, Bangalore
- Manipal hospitals, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia hospitals , Bangalore
- Apollo hospitals, Bangalore
- Hosmat hospital, Bangalore
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
The Paramount Job Roles of a Graduate of B.Sc. in Optometry
- Optometrist: They involve in the examination of vision-related defects like glaucoma, conjunctivitis etc and treat them.
- Teacher: You can work as a lecturer in both private and government educational organizations.
- Research assistant: Involves preparation of articles, reports, and presentations which facilitate the research activities. They also involved in the administrative duties of the research projects.
- Optician: an optician prescribes optical aids to the patients. They also provide advice on various types of lenses, spectacle frames and so on.
- Sales executive: They can work in the marketing department of the Optometric organization. This job role includes organization of sales visits, demonstrations and presentation of products and optical equipment and so on.
B.Sc. Optometry Salary/ Pay Scale:
- Optometry has a paramount place in the field of medicine which makes it a rewarding, lucrative and a satisfactory profession.
- The pay scale for successful graduates can range between 2 Lac INR- 8 Lac INR per annum in India. The salary is determined based on the skills and experience of the profession.
Graduates who aspire to become experts in the field can further opt for higher studies. M.Sc. Optometry or Master of Science in Optometry is the postgraduate optometry course. Every established hospital in Bangalore has an optometry department. Hence the demand for optometric recruitments is way too high. This field has immense scope both in India and
across the globe.