GNM Nursing Colleges in Bangalore
GNM Course Overview
Name: General Nursing Midwifery (GNM)
Duration: 3 ½ years
Type: Diploma course
- General Nursing Midwifery course focuses on educating the aspirants about various subjects of general health care and midwifery. Midwifery is a health care area which deals with women care, maternity care and facilitates child-birth.
- The nursing care and assistance is of paramount importance in the treatment of any kind of disease, injuries or deformities with respect to women
- Apart from the general health care competencies, this course also teaches how the female body functions which provides a better understanding of the entire child birth process.
- GNM nursing imparts the art, science, techniques and psychology of nursing to its students. This course follows the practical teaching approach as the practical experience is the key skill required here.
- Successful graduates can take their education to the post certificate level where they can opt for a master’s course in nursing which will open up numerous doors of job opportunities. They can work in prominent positions such as leadership, managerial roles, and in education fields or research areas.
- Apart from the technical skills, a nurse needs to understand the ‘Human Side of medicine.’ This medical field is a people oriented one. This work demands accuracy and selflessness from the nurses. Attention to details and communication skills are mandatory here.
- After the successful completion of GNM nursing, the student is now eligible to register as a ‘Professional Nurse’ and once the registration is done you can start practicing as a certified nurse.
MAY I HELP YOU
Top Colleges Offering GNM Nursing Courses in Bangalore:
Here is a list of prominent colleges which impart exceptional trainings and provides excellent job opportunities:
- Koshys College of Nursing, Bangalore
- RR Nursing Institute, Bangalore
- Krupanidhi Group of Institutions, Bangalore
- MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research centre, Bangalore
- Acharya School of Nursing, Bangalore
- Vydehi Institute of Learning, Bangalore
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi College of Nursing, Bangalore
- Sri Venkateshwara Institute of Nursing Sciences, Bangalore
- Aditya College of Nursing, Bangalore
- Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore
- Sarvodaya College of Nursing, Bangalore
- Dhanwantari Institutes, Bangalore
- East West Nursing Institutions, Bangalore
- Government College of Nursing, Bangalore
- Miranda College of Nursing, Bangalore
- NSS Group of Institutions, Bangalore
Outline of the GNM Nursing Course Syllabus:
The subjects may vary for different colleges but these are the general topics the students will be trained on:
1st Year Syllabus:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Biological sciences
- Fundamentals of nursing
- First aids
- Personal hygiene
- Environmental hygiene
- Communicative English
- Behavioral sciences
- Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
- Community health nursing
- Computer education
- Medical surgical nursing – I
- Medical surgical nursing – II
- Medical surgical nursing – III
- Communicable diseases
- Orthopaedic nursing
- Introduction to research
- Paediatric nursing
- Midwifery and gynaecological nursing
- Professional trends and adjustments
- Health economics
- Community health nursing – II
- Media for teaching in practice of nursing and educational methods
- Internship period
GNM Course Duration:
- Diploma in General Nursing Midwifery is a 3 – 3 ½ years course which includes healing and healthcare training for communities, individuals or families.
- An internship period of 6 months is mandatory to gain hands-on training in a professional health care setting.
GNM Nursing Eligibility Criteria:
The qualification criterion for GNM Nursing is as follows as per the Indian nursing council:
- The applicant must complete 10+2 or II PUC from a recognized board to be eligible for this course.
- The applicant should have preferably studied the science stream subjects (Physics, Chemistry or Biology). Students from the arts stream too can apply for this course. This, however, varies for different colleges.
- An aggregate of 45% is a must
- The applicants need to be physically and mentally healthy.
GNM Nursing Admission process:
- Most of the institutions follow the direct admission process. Seats are given based on the scores of the 10+2 or II PUC ( or any other equivalent examination)
- However few of the universities have an entrance exam which the students need to clear. This is followed by a personal interview.
- Some institutions also offer a scholarship for students who have merit scores.
Placements, Scope and Career Prospects:
The scope of this field is growing and has great potential for career opportunities. Here is a list of professional nursing areas for the graduates of GNM Nursing:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals and Clinics
- State Nursing Council
- Educational Institutions of Nursing
- Old Age Homes
- Indian Nursing Council
- Indian Red Cross Society
- Rural Health Care Centres
- Government and Private Dispensaries
- Government Health Schemes
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
Top Recruiters in Bangalore:
- Government hospitals
- Narayana Health, Bangalore
- MS Ramaiah hospital, Bangalore
- NIMHANS, Bangalore
- Aster Medcity, Bangalore
- Fortis hospitals, Bangalore
- Manipal hospitals, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia hospitals, Bangalore
- Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore
- Hosmat hospital, Bangalore
- Maternity homes and every other healthcare facility in the city.
Job Profiles for GNM Nursing:
- Certified nursing assistants
- Nursing teacher/ tutor
- Home care nurse
- ICU (Intensive care unit) nurse
- Traveling nurse
- Maternity care nurse
- Forensic nurse
- Defense forces nurse
GNM Nursing Salary Package:
- The salary of a nurse depends on the education standards, employment area, job profile and experience.
- In India, a fresher nurse can expect around 2 Lac – 3 Lac INR per annum. With the growth of experience, the salary also increases. The pay scale can increase up to 7 Lac – 8 Lac INR per annum.
After this under-graduate course of GNM Nursing, the aspiring students can also opt to pursue a B.Sc. in nursing which is of the Post certificate/Post basic level. After graduation, the students can further study M.Sc. Nursing or a PG diploma in nursing to boost your career to incredible heights.